Sunday, July 1, 2012

One Of The First Social Wasps Of This Summer

I've got a bunch of new insect photos, from this late Spring/Summer. Unfortunately, I haven't got around to posting them up here until now. So, here are some of the first Yellow Jackets of 2012: Not a Yellow Jacket, as I originally thought; but a European Paper Wasp.
The simple fact, that most Folks would immediately think this was a Yellow Jacket - And it's not - Is rather fascinating to me. This interesting wasp, was ID'd for me, by an Expert (goes by the name HornetBoy).

Info from Wikipedia: "Polistes dominula, sometimes referred to as the European paper wasp, is one of the more common and well-known species of social wasps in Europe. It is considered an invasive species in Canada and the United States. Wikipedia

More pics, of other bugs to follow...



No comments: